Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 3


I haven't seen a show here yet at the Municipal Theatre, but it's a stunning venue from the outside. People are continually stopping to stare at the large photo banner, of a figure standing in the middle of the main road to Charleville at night. It is disturbing somehow; I will try to get a better shot.

So Day 3- took it a little easy- I knew the place would be full of weekend tourists, so I only went to town for two evening shows: the 1st 'Fantomas probablement' by 'Tete dans le Sac- Marionettes' from Switzerland (there are 23 group members but only 2 onstage tonight). Cleverly designed and constructed ramshackle set with a variety of small windows/stages in and under it- they changed orientation 5 times, revealing an underground nightclub, and then a large skinny puppet which towered above the stage. It was my favourite so far: well-lit, small audience (approx 150), very clever and varied ugly/caricatured rod puppets, some of which sang and danced. But lots of French text which lost me, and a bit long.

Then a long bike ride to the next venue (some are 30 minutes walk apart), and did I mention the audiences start queueing 45mins before the show opens?? Not like us Aussies! This was 'La Boite', a Taiwan/French co-production between Taiyuan Puppet Theatre and Les Zonzons, performed in/on/and around a 4 metre-high box that could rotate 360 degrees. It combined lots of glove puppet action with projections, some shadows, a traditional Taiwanese band, some French singing, and actors with radio mikes. Shame they forgot to add a sprinkle of something interesting... It was a classic crowd-pleaser spectacle, and got massive applause. Could have been that rowsing French drinking song they kept launching into hey?

I'd like to say I then went to a radical Cabaret Bar and saw renegade puppetry till 2am which took my breath away. But no, I took the sleep option. Told you Day 3 was a bit slack. Will do better tomorrow I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment