Saturday, September 19, 2009

Settling in

So it has been a big first day. Bus timetable- tick. Bus pass- tick. Getting lost on the bus ride home- tick. Feeling fairly panicked- tick. Walking blindly in the direction the bus driver assured me was to my hotel- tick. Having a little rest and gathering my resources- tick. Back out and down to the Festival, meeting 3 Japanese women who speak no French at the bustop, who are staying at my hotel too. Plus a Norweigan who is seeing as many shows as me. There is talk between us of sharing taxis home, as the last bus finishes at 8pm, how ridiculous. Now to the photos (in no particular order): the founder of Charleville in 1600s; a street to the main square with all the world's flags; the main square Place Ducale, around which a lot of the shows happen, plus street theatre everywhere; a 1900 Merry-go-round which is stunning in motion(but he said I was too big for it); and the Tourism Office getting right into the swing of the Marionette atmosphere.

Most cafes and restaurants are offering special 'Festival Menus', and there are stalls selling food and tacky string marionettes around the edge of the Square. I bumped into the Director of the Chuncheon Puppetry Festival (who recognised me first) from touring there with Krinkl in 2006, and a couple of other performers from that time too- it helped me not feel so anonymous. This is one of the first times in years that I have attended a Festival as a 'normal' punter, not priviliged performer. I really missed the support network: being met at the arrival point, the Festival goodie bag, and of course the all-important status-giving identification card around the neck! Sigh. I will just have to deal with it I know. It's just my huge ego.

A further blow to my self-esteem came in the scrabble for show tickets. I could not argue in French when a pushy woman went ahead of me in the long, confusing queue! I should have just let her have it in my best Aussie (well, OK, I did under my breath). I'm glad I'd invested those 6 hours back in Oz reading the Program and ordering my tickets weeks ago- many shows were sold out before the Festival even opened. It took me nearly an hour just to buy 2 more tickets (more suffering of my ego as I accept I have to pay, not just waltz in flashing my Artist's Pass).

And finally, after all this waffle (actually, I must admit to a Crepe with Nutella from a stall which was tres bon), I saw my first show. Doctor Frankenstein, by Theater Taptoe. It was a Flemish/Spanish production, with puppet, shadows, projections, slides, lots of plastic sheets, and rainwater, with French text. It was clever, and well-produced, but a bit confusing and kept me at arm's length somehow. My fellow taxi-riders home from Japan, and a Czech student from Japan also felt the same. But the best bit was standing outside at the end, and hearing my name called from behind: Jenny Pfeiffer! Classic! The Australian UNIMA and puppetry community arm is long and familiar :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment